Thursday, September 12, 2024

Emily Nenni

One Liner:  Pitch perfect classic country tunes

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but country
Home: Bay Area (but in Nashville now, of course)

Poster Position: 20
Weekend Two Only.
Sunday at 1:40.

BMI Stage.

Thoughts:  The top track is super familiar to me - I tried to find out who she was covering, but it sounds like this is her original.  "Long Game" has 3.1 million streams.

Doesn't that sound like something you've heard before?  I swear I feel like I've heard a huge crowd sing that at a country song before.  Really weird.  But that is just a pitch perfect classic country honky-tonk tune, from the vocals to the lyrics to the steel guitar and snare rim clicks.  Love it.

She apparently moved from the Bay Area to Nashville when she was 21 with dreams of being a songwriter.  She was too shy to consider playing her songs, but she found a home away from home at a little joint called Santa's Pub in Nashville, which is housed in a double-wide trailer in South Nashville.  Sounds cool to me.  I'm flying to Nashville tomorrow - if they were open at lunchtime I'd totally go have a beer and shot!  Anyway, it is amazing to me that she was worried about performing, because her voice is freaking sweet.

3 albums - 2018's Hell of a Woman, 2022's On the Ranch (written while working on a ranch in southern Colorado), and 2024's Drive & Cry.  The new disc hasn't gotten too many streams yet, but it is a lot of great originals followed up by a classic cover of "Amarillo Highway."  "In the Mornin'," from On the Ranch, has a sly little groove that I dig.  The way she sings "Imma walkin' the dawg" makes me smile.  That is her second biggest streamer with just over a million.

Those two little dogs are extremely cute.  I also find her very fetching as she rides that lawnmower down the road, just singing along to the camera.  If you're trying to do a country-fied day at the Fest on the second Sunday, then this is just the ticket to get you ready for Orville Peck, The Droptines, The Red Clay Strays, and Sturgill.  Too bad they yanked Caamp out of here!

No comments: