Monday, September 23, 2024

ACL 2024: Weekend ONE: Friday Schedule and Thoughts!

I have tried to reduce some of the bloat in these schedule posts so that you can just get the goods.  Once I have these schedules ready for weekend one, I'll try to type of a few posts about the food and the drinks and the map and logistics.  As usual, you can click the name link for each artist below to see my full post on them and find out more about each artist.


Here we go - Friday, Weekend One:

12:55/1:15 (feels like the start gets later and later)
Honda (12:55)
Asleep at the Wheel: Every year's favorite western swing purveyors
Tito's (1:15)    
Midnight Navy: Unknown, difficult to google, guy who is playing synth tunes in his bedroom
AmEx (1:15)
The Saint Cecilia: Solid, if unremarkable, rock for the four tunes available on Spotify


I doubt I'll make it to the park this early, but I feel like you should just always start with AaTW.  It's a solid tradition.

1:40/2:00
Miller Lite
Katie Pruitt: Quasi-country singer with a great voice and no fear about tough subjects
BMI
Mon Rovia: Lovely indie singer with an unexpected background
IHG (2)
Chaparelle: Nobody
T-Mobile (2)
Sir Chloe: Catchy alternative indie rock born out of a senior thesis



Actually a tough hour.  I really like Katie Pruitt, and so she would have been my automatic grab here because I have liked her even before she made it on this poster.  But Sir Chloe is legit and Mon Rovia is really nice too.  Maybe a chance to do a little of both Pruitt and Chloe.

2:25/2:45 (they really don't line up the bands anymore...)
Honda (2:25)
Hudson Westbrook: Solid young country fella, reminds me of Wyatt Flores
Tito’s Tent (2:45)
Paco Versailles: Combining of disco-fied electronica and flamenco for a fun flash of enjoyment
American Express (2:45)            
Dasha:  Pop country one hit wonder who wants to abandon her boyfriend in Austin in his time of need


Honestly, those first two are both really good.  I'm attracted to the smaller venue feel of Tito's for Paco and just boogie-ing around to that weirdness.

3:10/3:30
Miller Lite (3:10)
Mannequin Pussy: A really great indie rock band that can't quit ruining songs with screaming
BMI (3:10)
Tanner Adell: Beyonce co-signed Nashville country singer is painful for me to listen to
IHG (3:30)
Penny & Sparrow: Duo making indie-folk-rock magic after meeting at UT
T-Mobile (3:30)
Chance Pena: Warbly-voiced guy doing some Lumineers-ish stuff



Eh, I guess I'd go see Penny & Sparrow?  The only one I actively dislike is Adell, and while I am curious about MP, if she's just going to scream a bunch then I don't want it.

4:10/4:30
Honda (4:10)
Norah Jones: One of the finest vocalists around, maybe forgotten, but still making jazzy tunes
Tito’s Tent (4:30)
Eggy: Prepare for noodling guitars and extended jams, baby!
American Express (4:30)
Carin Leon: Like I'm in Taco Cabana waiting for my fajita taco plate (man, reading that again now, that is terribly rude)


I know that I should go see Norah Jones.  She's amazing, and I know that she'll put on a top tier show backed up by decades of being badass.  But then I think about some rad and ridiculous jam band noodling like the video above, and I feel myself drawn into that sweaty little Tito's tent.

5:10/5:30
Miller Lite (5:10)
Elderbrook: generic electronic music
BMI (5:10)
Dexter and the Moonrocks: Sloppy, bashing, raucous rock and roll action
IHG (5:30)
Connor Price: Canadian rapper with collaborations from all over the globe
T-Mobile (5:30)
Stephen Sanchez: Another insanely popular thing based upon sixty-year-old vibes



This is an odd hour - prior to looking them up again, I had zero recollection of what Price or Sanchez were about.  But with my memory refreshed, I actually enjoyed both of them.  Sanchez is fascinating, a total throwback to an old school style, and yet has a billion streams.  I may just wander over and see the rock show though.

Also, are there a lot more artists this year who are just using their name instead of a band name?  it really feels like it to me, maybe I'll have to spend the time to quantify that thought.

6:10/6:30
Honda (6:10)
Foster the People: The Pumped Up Kicks guys, still making pop rock goodness
Tito’s Tent (6:30)
Barry Can't Swim: Jazzercise lives on because guys like this keep making music
American Express (6:30)
Leon Bridges: One of the great modern soul singers

That is a bummer hour.  I'd really like to get to see Bridges again, now that he is a bigger and better performer.  But I very much expect that I will be jamming along with Foster instead.

7:10/7:30
Miller Lite (7:10)
Porter Robinson: Critically acclaimed electronic stuff straddling the line between EDM and indie
IHG (7:30)
Fletcher: Completely acceptable, if uninteresting, pop music
T-Mobile (7:30)
The Marias: dime store Billie Eilish bedroom pop with that "Hush" song

This looks like a good time to go get a corn dog and get in position for the headliners.

HEADLINERS:
Honda (8:10)
Blink 182: Top two biggest pop punk band ever
Tito's
AmEx (8:30)
Chris Stapleton: Literally saving country music

It's too bad that someone else isn't the headliner opposite these two!  Feels like their demographic is likely all the same, whereas none of the old dudes who would want both of these guys are going to care a whit about Pretty Lights or DUAL IPA.  I'm torn on this, but am starting to feel like I will likely end up at Blink since I've never seen them.

No comments: