Thursday, September 19, 2024

Vanilla is Black

One Liner:  Super tasty funky grooves

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but this is funk and soul and a little hip hop
Home: unknown, maybe Chicago?

Poster Position: Late Addition.
Weekend Two Only.
Friday at 1:40.

BMI Stage.

Thoughts:  ooooh baby, I like me some funky stuff.  This sounds like they keep grabbing other vocalists to come in and add something over the top of what they have going, but I still dig it.  A website called "onestowatch.com" claims this: "A collective with the “funky spirit of Parliament, yet room to experiment like the Gorillaz,” Vanilla is Black has come to dismantle apathy, elicit groove, and redefine the industry by honoring what it used to be and catapulting it ions beyond."  I assume they mean eons?  I doubt they are trying to catapult past some molecules...

Three guys - Chuck Inglish, Kevin Roosevelt, and Kenneth Wright.  Kevin and Chuck apparently ran into each other at a taco spot, both telling the other that they were looking to try to put together a band, and this thing was born.  I wish they named the taco spot.  Apparently Chuck Inglish is a rapper with solo projects and also was part of the Cool Kids (a duo with Sir Michael Rocks).  He is from Michigan but moved to Chicago at some point.  Wait, Kevin Roosevelt is Keb Mo's name.  Is this Keb' Mo'?  I am guessing not since none of the articles mention that.  Would be weird tho.  Also, the reason for the band name?  Because vanilla is actually black.  Woooooaaaaaahhhhhh.

Just one album, 2024's U.Aint.Neva.Lied, with nine songs of funky shizz.  The top song features 6lack (and I've mentioned this before, but I still can't say that in my mind as anything but SLACK.  Which I know is 100% wrong every time, and then I say it that way in my head again).  "Baby Boy" with 162k streams.

Feel that funk all up in your soul, baby.  I like it.  Second most streamed is "Mezcal," and it actually has a real video.  78k streams.

Smooth and funky and groovy for sure.  That bass line is sick.  And who needs SLACK in there?  The main guy does a bang up job of singing that one - almost a Weeknd sound.  I'd for sure go catch this, if it wasn't the first show on Sunday of Second Weekend!

No comments: