Wednesday, September 11, 2024

DeathByRomy

One Liner:  Unpleasantly dark pop after you get past her one hit

Wikipedia Genre:  Alternative pop, dark pop, alternative R&B, trap, rock
Home: L.A.

Poster Position: Recent addition, but she would be in the small type
Both Weekends.
Sunday at 12:10.

Miller Lite Stage.

Thoughts:  I just made up the capitalization in the name of this band.  I hope that doesn't hurt their brand.  If you search "death" on Spotify, the first entry is "Cab For Cutie," a great band.  If you add "by" on then you get this gal.  After having just listened to Jess Glynne, I feel like I'm getting a petulant dime-store version of a power singer.

Romy Flores was born in L.A. in 1999 and began performing at age 15.  Her first big single continues to be her top track, mainly because of going viral on TikTok.  I absolutely thought she was singing about loving cocaine for the first few times I hear this song.  "Problems" is a Gen Alpha anthem about getting fucked up to ignore your issues.  66.5 million streams.

That eye makeup is very unsettling.  And the lady eating grapes looks like Billie Eilish.  Basic track, but pretty catchy.  I'll give her that.  She says her stage name comes from her past struggles with suicidal tendencies and is an attempt at claiming personal love.  I was listening to a podcast this morning, the only podcast I really listen to ever, and Rob Harvilla had a great line about people coopting the idea of self-love and self-help for bullshit reasons like selling soap.  That is what this sounds like to me.  She lists her influences as The Beatles, Bjork, and Bring Me the Horizon.  I really hope she was just looking at a list of B artists when she made that list, because otherwise she is failing miserably to copy her inspirations.

Three albums - 2018's Monsters (relatively ignored on streaming), 2021's Songs for My Funeral (the only album with a record label, and featuring the smash hit above), and 2022's independent release Entropy.  Very few streams on the other tracks, and the ones in her catalog that fire up more streams feature other folks on them - Zed's Dead, Rezz, something called Jazmin Bean.  Just so you can suffer through one more, here is "No Mercy" from the 2022 album.  3 million streams.

I just had to scrunch up my face and say "please stop making that noise."  I'd listen to days of San Holo over hearing this ever again.  Just trying to shock by sounding miserable and nothing about it seems interesting or actually cool at all.  Definitely not watching this.

No comments: