Monday, September 9, 2024

CAAMP (2024)

One Liner: Folksy Americana with a bunch o' banjo and several legit bangers.
Wikipedia Genre: Folk
Home: Athens, Ohio

Poster Position: 3 (?!?)


Both Weekends.
Saturday at 4:20.
AmEx Stage.

Thoughts: WTF.  The Honda stage is like a 2019 reunion.  Misterwives?  2019. Orville Peck?  2019.  Caamp?  2019.  What is the deal here? [EDIT, this was the case when they were still playing Sunday evening on the Honda stage, but now Chappel Roan owns that night]

Not a fan of the weird spellings for band names.  Chvches and Hovvdy and this.  Interestingly, back in 2019, if you tried searching for CAAMP in Wikipedia, you get the Canadian trade association for mortgage professionals.  Which seems like a mistake to pick a name that ends up directing people to a buncha nerdy lenders.  But now, they've finally stepped up and gotten a Wikipedia page...

Their website says that they are aficionados of both denim and light beer.  Which is not very helpful, but I will say that their music is damn fine.  Whichever one of the three guys plays the banjo is legit.  I read an interview saying that these guys have been opening for Rainbow Kitten Surprise, which would be a fun double-bill.  And in fact, some of this music has kind of a RKS tilt - looking at "Strawberries" or "Books."  Two of the guys met as middle school students at a summer camp, and after some time at Ohio University, they added the bass and keyboard players.

Back in 2019, they were showing up at ACL with just one album - 2016's Caamp - and then two 2018 EPs both named Boys (Side A and Side B).  The new stuff is a little more folk-rocky, and a little less bluegrassy.  But it's all very enjoyable.  The top song is from the debut album, "Vagabond" has 186.9 million streams.  
Got that Lumineers/The Head and the Heart start, all quiet build up with the quick banjo picking, and singing about sneaking whiskey sips by the river, before the action kicks in with a little "YIP!"  Oh, or Avett Brothers!  This has an Avett Bros. flavor as well, but with a much raspier voice.

Their other top song rules too - I think I thought that this was Lord Huron when I have heard it on the radio and whatnot, but "By and By," from their 2019 album of the same name, is a jam.  129 million streams.
Freaking love it.  Simple as can be (except for the rad banjo action) but just a purely lovely and happy tune to bop along to.  I need more happiness in my life and this delivers.

After that, one more album - 2022's Lavender Days.  WAIT, these guys have The OTTER!?!?!  My wife freaking loves "The Otter" and I had no clue that was this same band!  I literally just got goosebumps at this realization.  30.2 million streams.
I am so very happy right now.  I had no clue that all of these songs were this same band!  I knew they had that fun song from the last time they came, but I had not followed them to know that they kept putting out such fun stuff.  Not even lying, grinning at my desk like an idiot right now, just so pleased to have this song playing at me right now.

The band claims the extra "a" was added to the name to make for easier internet searches.  After reading four different interviews/articles about these guys, I feel like I don't know much more than I did before, so not much more for background.  Just know that they make solid banjo music.  I think I know what I want to do on Sunday night before Sturgill!

No comments: