Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Chief Cleopatra

One Liner:  Rock-forward R&B sound from a local gal

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, soul and R&B?
Home: Austin!

Poster Position: 24
Weekend One Only.
Sunday at 12:30.

IHG Stage.

Thoughts: I was hopeful on this one, but not my favorite thing.  Guitar-ey, funky R&B.  No Wikipedia, but she was apparently a KUTX artists of the month, so we get a few details about her.  Jalesa Jessie is her name, and she is originally from Corsicana before ending up in Austin.  She played in the drum line in high school marching band, and has a clear formative memory of a Smashing Pumpkins video from her childhood (no mention of which video - I think my favorite has always been Today, but I also love the video for Zero.  And Tonight, Tonight is also a weirdo classic with its aesthetic.  Man, I wish the Pumpkins were playing ACL).

No albums, but 2022's Luna EP comes the closest with 5 original songs on there.  "Friends" holds the streaming crown, both on that EP and for her overall catalog, although I really like the laid back stroll of "Fortuity."  "Friends" has 45.8k streams.

I love a video filmed in Austin where I need to try to guess where she is the whole time!  She starts at SoCo across the street from Guero's - I know that one right away.  I like how the bro walking his black lab gives one little glance over the shoulder in case he's supposed to know her.  The doofus in the mask belies the vintage of that video, as does the fact that Lucy is still there.  Dangit.  As mentioned in my long mea culpa for deathbyromy, I'm just not going to measure whether that song is good or not.  Her voice sounds good though!

Most of her other tunes are in the low 4 figures, so we'll go with the newest single.  "Cold Dancer" has 5,948 streams.

Less appealing with the beat on there instead of the more organic sound of much of her other, older stuff.  I likely would not be there at the noon hour anyway, but she sounds nice.

No comments: