Monday, September 9, 2024

Richy Mitch & the Coal Miners

One Liner:  One monster, if short, hit, and then a pretty good set of indie rock tunes

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, this is indie folky rocky
Home: Colorado/Bozeman/Seattle

Poster Position: 18 (higher than I expected)
Both Weekends.
Sunday at 12:55.

Honda Stage.

Thoughts:  I am actually a little surprised at this - fully expected some sort of bluegrass freakout hootenanny with that band name.  Instead, this is kind of like the early Lumineers were trying to sound like the Fleet Foxes while practicing in their garage.  Also, they aren't even from West Virginia!  (yes, I understand that coal can come from many other places, but still, this would be like me naming my band Jack and the Redwoods and being from Florida).  Their bio says that three of them started the band in Colorado in high school, and recorded their first album in a "hot and cramped Harry Potter closet under the stairs at Nic's mom's house, and released it in May 2017 on graduation day."  They apparently currently reside in the Bozeman area (per their own website), but YouTube says they are in Seattle.

That first album is just called RMCM, and as mentioned was released in 2017.  The first song from it is their top track by a light year - "Evergreen" has 631.6 million streams.

It almost sounds like they get off the beat a few times.  There is some other ACL band from last year who this voice reminds me of, and I can't come up with it.  Also, WTF that a 1:27 minute song has 600 million streams.  Guaranteed this is TikTok's fault.

After that, 2018's Solstice has no song that breaks the 5 million stream mark.  Which is unfortunate.  Also, "Tide" sounds like they were trying for a Coldplay thing.  2019's Subliming sees a little more success, in that "WET SOCKS" has 14.2 million streams.

By the way, HUGE pet peeve to have wet socks.  If I am walking in the kitchen in my socks, which I frequently do because the wife likes a no shoe household, and I step in a puddle of ice melt or sink splash or whatever, I want to fight the sun.  I don't get angry much, but that one really gets the old proverbial goat.  I like that guitar tone they use halfway through in there to get a little wobbly and psychedelic.  Smart lyrics too.  I like it.

Since then, just singles (one with Mt. Joy), so that is a pretty big gap since their last album.  Maybe a triumphant new disc is just about to stick its landing.  I almost certainly will not be there at 12:55 on Sunday, but this is worth checking out.

No comments: