Tuesday, September 24, 2024

ACL 2024: WEEKEND ONE: SATURDAY: Schedule and Thoughts

I have tried to reduce some of the bloat in these schedule posts so that you can just get the goods.  Once I have these schedules ready for weekend one, I'll try to type of a few posts about the food and the drinks and the map and logistics.  As usual, you can click the name link for each artist below to see my full post on them and find out more about each artist.

Man, Red Rocks is so freaking cool.

Here we go - Saturday, Weekend One:

11:55/12:05
Miller Lite
Godly the Ruler: Art-noise-type aggravating rap and post-punk emo singing dreck
BMI
Obed Padilla: Beatmaker using some good ones on himself
IHG
Promqueen: Overly cutesy pop/rap in both English and Vietnamese
Tito'sShxwnFresh
T-Mobile
PawPaw Rod: Distinctly funky mix of hip hop, soul, and indie pop

Starting before noon makes for a crazy long day, so I don't know that you'll find me here this early.  That being said, I think both of those bottom two are legit talented dudes who make some good music.  You won't go wrong with either.

EDIT - Looks like Zach Person got cancelled, DAMMIT!  There is now a rapper named ShxwnFresh playing the Tito's Tent at 12:35, but in listening to his top song for a minute, that is a no thank you.

12:40/12:50/1:05 (why can't we just have a single start time?)
Honda (12:40)
The Criticals: Strokesian, loose, enjoyable rock and roll
Tito's (1:05)    
empty now
AmEx (12:50)
Goldie Boutillier: Shape shifting gal seeking out the winning formula in a pop-influenced alt country


Another hour where I don't think you can go wrong.  All three of these were enjoyable, I guess it would just depend on what sound you want for this hour - pop, rock, or alt-country?

EDIT - they shifted everything now that CAAMP bailed.  That SUCKS.

1:25/1:35
Miller Lite
IDKHOW: Glammy 80's inspired rock from an ex-Panic! guy
BMI
Sawyer Hill: Deep-voiced rocker from Arkansas who feels right for Austin
IHG
Valencia Grace: Unmemorable pop singer with a nice voice that can Adele at times
T-Mobile
Geese: Wild NYC art rock with a few too much dissonance for my taste



Man, I really wish that was Goose and not Geese.  I think the IDKHOW show will be a fun time, but I also think that Sawyer Hill is legit.

2:05/2:10/2:20 (they really don't line up the bands anymore...)
Honda (2:10)
Something Corporate: Emo pop punk that probably should have remained in 2002
Tito’s Tent (2:05)
Zach Person: Blues rock goodness in the vein of Gary Clark Jr.
American Express (2:20)            
Lola Young: Strong voiced Brit singing hard-edged and confessional pop


I don't even know here.  I guess Zach Person?

3:05/3:10/3:20
Miller Lite (3:10)
Say She She: Three classically trained singers over the top of Nile Rodgers funk
BMI (3:10)
Telescreens: Strokes-ian sloppy rock and roll coming after some terrible early stuff
IHG (3:20)
Spinall: Nigerian DJ funking it up with his Afrobeats
Tito's (3:05)
Brittany DavisBlind musician making hip hop-inspired jams and offbeat sounds
T-Mobile (3:30)
The Beaches: Poppy garage rocking ladies

I fear I am overusing Strokesian.  The Beaches are my choice out of this hour, but I could see any of these being pretty fun.

4:10/4:20
Honda (4:10)
Teddy Swims: Soulful tattoo monster who went from YouTube covers to one huge hit
Tito’s Tent (4:20)
Elyanna: Arabic pop that is otherwise pretty generic
Balthvs: Khruangbin copycats from Columbia
American Express (4:20)
CAAMP: Folksy Americana with a bunch o' banjo and several legit bangers
Eyedress: Kinda jenky bedroom pop heavy on the new wave synths and basslines


Caamp all day and twice on Saturday.

EDIT - WELP, looks like it is Teddy Swims time.  CAAMP just cancelled their show.  Freaking sucks for sure.  As part of that, it looks like they juggled the whole day and so I needed to fix a bunch of these hours.  Looks like they didn't add anyone new, they just kicked Elyanna off of today and moved some other crap around.

5:10/5:20
Miller Lite (5:10)
Still Woozy: Mediocre electronic indie that reminds me of that awful "Gooey" song
BMI (5:10)
Rett Madison: Under-the-radar belter with some excellent, if sometimes very sad, lyrics
IHG (5:20)
Wave to Earth: Really lovely South Korean indie pop/soft rock (that seems weird to be here)
T-Mobile (5:20)
Hermanos Gutierrez: Instrumental guitar magic



Weird hour for this late in the day - none of these feel like the right timing.  I think Madison is great, but I think I'd likely end up wanting to see the brothers do sweet guitar things.

6:10/6:20
Honda (6:10)
Benson Boone: Sounds like a boy band refugee, with a strong voice and great lyrics
Tito’s Tent (6:20)
Kenny Beats: DJ guy who will apparently just play a bunch of other people's rap snippets
American Express (6:20)
Khruangbin: Funky instrumental goodness

I still don't understand how Khruangbin is a headliner of a major festival, but whatever.  I'd choose them here.

7:10/7:20
Miller Lite (7:10)
Jungle: Grooving funk soul
IHG (7:20)
Vince Staples: Great flow from an odd rapper with critical love
T-Mobile (7:20)
Renee Rapp:  Pop bubblegum from an actress-turned-belter

Bummer here too, because I think a Jungle show is probably a lot of fun, but I also think Vince Staples is the best rapper on this poster.  Game time decision, I guess.  But not Rapp.  That is not good.

HEADLINERS:
Honda (8:10)
Pretty Lights: Honestly enjoyable electronic background music
Tito's
AmEx (8:20)
DUA LIPA: Disco pop bubblegum somehow at the top of the ACL poster

Not excited about either of these, but I guess at the end of the day I expect I will end up at the Lipa show just because she is the supposedly big superstar.  It would have been so great for one of the Friday night headliners to be here so that there was something to look forward to.  And actually, I just finished listening to a massive three hour set of Pretty Lights, playing this supremely cool venue in Tennessee called the Caverns, and it was pretty cool.  Maybe I'll wander that way instead.

No comments: