Thursday, September 12, 2024

Rickshaw Billie's Burger Patrol

One Liner:  BIG DUMB RIFFS

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but this is metal and hard rock
Home: Austin!

Poster Position: 23
Weekend Two Only.
Sunday at 12:30.

IHG Stage.

Thoughts:  I AM SO PLEASED THAT THIS SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE WHAT I WANTED IT TO SOUND LIKE!!!  A sloppy White Stripes album is just what I needed right now.  Hell yeah.  I love when a band makes me actually LOL - because they are funny, or stupid, or so ridiculously hard that the only possible response is either to run away and hide or laugh in the face of the immensely hard riffs.  I remember feeling that way about cleopatrick or Red Fang or Amyl and the Night Sweats, and I feel it here.  The name, of course, is also ridiculously rad.  Gimme more idiocy and less polished, focus-group-tested, anodyne crap.

Anyway, these weirdos are from right here in Austin - Leo Lydon on guitars/vocals, Sean St. Germain on drums, and Aaron Metzdorf on bass and backing vocals.  I guess you'd classify this as metal, but it is way more fun and tuneful than most of what I would stick in the metal bucket.  It definitely seems fun, like purposefully silly and yet still hard as hell.  it also sounds like the guitar is tuned lower?  I don't really play the guitar so I have no clue what I am talking about but it feels like when Royal Blood has no guitar and yet makes a bass do whatever they want?  The thickness and meat of it is intoxicating.

"Papa Pop It" sounds like Primus and I am here for it.  Actually, now that I'm in the thick of it, the Big Dumb Riffs album brings Primus to me because this fella's yelpy singing voice brings to mind one of Les Claypool's styles over the top of some truly big dumb riffs.  Dig it.  The riffs on "Shoo-In" just made me growl "come on!" at my desk.  Gimme that bit at 0:54 all day.

Their first EP is called Burger Time Classics, and was released in 2017.  I loved Burger Time, the video game, back in the day, and even got to play it just recently while staying in an AirBnb in Knoxville, TN that had some of those stand up video game machines that offers like 10 classics per machine.  I also whipped some ass in Rampage. After that 2018's Beef EP, 2019's Grease Beast EP, 2020's Burger Babes ... from Outer Space!, 2022's Doom Wop, and then 2024's Big Dumb Riffs.  It bugs me that they get the shitty noon time slot here - I want the kids who show up at 3 to be like "woah, what the hell is that?  Gimme some more."

Top track is "The Cincinnati Tilt" (and I have trouble spelling that word...) with 675k streams.  From the Grease Beast EP.

That was the Jack White shizz that I was talking about up top.  Long lost outtakes from the White Stripes Elephant sessions.  I don't know what the lyrics are on about, but I'd like to think you get the Cincinnati Tilt from eating that scary Skyline Chili stuff.  I'm going to give you two more for your education.  First, from Doom Wop, you get "Shoo-In" with 260k streams.

Hahahaha.  hell yes.  Just grind my face off on those riffs and show no mercy to anyone.  And then the vocals actually sound kind of tuneful, which makes this more in my wheelhouse than most things you would consider "metal."  Next, from the new album, I could give you "1-800-EAT-SHIT" because the title rules, but let's go with "Body Bag" instead with 228k streams.
Did I mention that the album is called Big Dumb Riffs?  Just piled up on there like one of those ridiculous Instagram burgers with 7 inches of toppings that will never fit into any mouth ever.  Really feels like a perfect moshpit song.

Again, doubt I will be there for the Second Weekend at all, much less the noon-ish time on Sunday, but this pretty much jams.  My wife would HAAAAATE it.

No comments: