Wednesday, September 11, 2024

San Holo (2024)

One Liner: More generic EDM
Wikipedia Genre: Trap, future bass
Home:  Netherlands

Poster Position: 6

Day: Sunday at 6:00 (moved up so he won't compete with Chappell Roan)
Both Weekends.

Tito's Tent

Thoughts:  Last here in 2018, and boy these Sunday artists really feel like they are pulled from prior year's posters.  Haven't yet quantified that feeling to see if it is true, but it is in my head.

I mean, I haven't even heard a note of this music and I already hate it.  I remember seeing an artist named Com Truise the other day, and likewise it made me want to barf.  SO CLEVER!  And yet, you're messing with the extremely valuable childhood memories and feelings I associate with Han.  When I get goosebumps every time the Falcon banks across the screen in one of the new movies of the Star Wars trilogy, that is real, and you, sir, and messing with those feels in pursuit of unimaginative "future bass."

One guess what kind of music this is.  If you were the first to guess generic EDM stuff, you have won a signed exhibit sticker from my desk.  Well done.  This is one of those guys who spent years without a real album, just a bunch of singles and a weird EP (that includes a straight up classical song), and a few "albums" that are just the same song redone 14 times.  For real, he has a 2017 release that is the song "The Future" done in 14 different versions.  If you can't decide which version of your computer-generated song is actually good, then maybe it's just not good?  Seems like common sense to me.

Top song, by a ton, is "Light" with 213.4 million streams.
Sounds like 8,000 other EDM tracks we've heard before.  Female singing about generically aspirational subject - I JUST WANNA SEE THE LIGHT! - with a build up and drop that includes that backwards woozy synth sound.  I could tell you that this was Avicii or Calvin Harris and you'd be like, yeah, OK.    

But he did fire out an actual album in 2018, called album1.  And then of course a copy of that in remix form.  Another album in 2021 called bb u ok? and then one in 2023 called EXISTENTIAL DANCE MUSIC.  The interesting thing about those albums is that none of them have his top tracks.  All of his top tracks are singles or EP bits.

So, homeboy is Dutch, and his real name is Sander van Dijck.  How can you not see that last name and think of dong?  Will I ever stop being juvenile?  I kind of doubt it.  Also, in 2014, Disney threatened to sue the guy for copyright infringement over being too closely associated with Han Solo.  I can't see any resolution to that demand, but it sure seems like he got to keep using the name.  Dammit Disney, FINISH HIM!

A 2015 single called "We Rise" is the second most streamed, with 89.7 million streams and another lady singing platitudes about how we both rise and we fall.  So deep.
That track is deeply annoying.  I don't know the proper words to describe the sound of that car alarm being warbled into my brain sound, but I no longer want to hear it.

Let's do one more to see what the new album has for us.  "BRING BACK THE COLOR" is the top streamer on there with 6.6 million.  And, shockingly, I truly know you are about to be shocked here, it features a woman singer who is singing trite phrases as a beat boogies into your ears.
The YouTube video at least tells us that this singer is Aurora.  His Spotify credits no one on many of his songs, even though some lady is pouring her heart out about something deeply boring.

I said I'd only do one more track, but Wikipedia shows that this guy became famous because he remixed the Dr. Dre song "Tha Next Episode."  That song rules, so let's see what he did to it.
Oh God.  He ruined it.  You know why that original song rules?  The pimp ass 60's tune Dre sampled.  Removing that entirely just makes this a mediocre Snoop rap over the sound of Pharrell clucking his tongue from "Drop It Like Its Hot."  This is bad.  Meanwhile, it has 272 million freaking views on YouTube, so maybe I'm the one who is bad...

I would not go see this live.  Wait.  I actually just saw that this is in the Tito's Tent.  And here is something I will tell you - the EDM stuff in that tiny tent is freaking rad.  It is hot as balls and super sweaty and loud as hell, but the energy in that small space is completely different than the feel of a big stage field.  I watched Grizz in there years ago after making fun of his music as well, and it was amazing.

No comments: