Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Lucius

Some more strong female-fronted indie music.  Is it just me or is the third quartile of the ACL poster entirely made up of indie music fronted by females?  Nope, nevermind, I think I just hit into a pack of them. 
Lucius has a retro pop indie sound that sounds very familiar to me right now.  They just have the one album (2014's Wildewoman), but it is a very good debut.  Piles of pretty harmony laid down over some well done but pretty basic drums/guitar.  I think that I would have enjoyed this more if I hadn't just listened to Cults and Lake Street Dive directly before.  I still think it is good stuff, it just comes in third place in my head.

Their most listened to song on Spotify is Turn it Around:

Wikipedia collects some significant praise for the band:
  • Lauded by the New York Times for their "luscious, luminous, lilting lullabies",
  • praised by NPR for their "charisma and charm" 
  • praised by Rolling Stone as "the best band you may not have heard yet"
  • The Guardian described them as "the missing link between Arcade Fire and Haim ... How can they fail?  They won't."
Here is their most popular video (225k views), for Go Home:
Really cool animation in the video, and a really sweet, simple song.  Sounds like a fantastic addition for the mix tape you plan to give your friend because they just broke up with that guy who was no good for them anyway.  I'm going to add this album to my playlist and see what that does for me.

Since originally publishing this, I have heard Turn it Around 3 different times out in the world - twice on the new radio station called The Fringe, then once yesterday in Which Wich.  The song is absolutely growing on me the more I hear it.

No comments: