Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Skrillex

The line-up this year is heavy on the EDM, but Skrillex is the one that I might want to go see.  I don’t get most of his music, Rolling Stone is always going on and on about how amazing and groundbreaking and blahblahblah “Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites” is:

 That being said, that song has over 160 MILLION freaking views on YouTube.  What the what?  Maybe if you take ecstasy.  I don’t know, it’s interesting?  Not sure how to dance to it other than doing the Bernie.  On the other hand, Bangarang is a ridiculous animal slice of badassery that I still don’t get enough of.  If you have not heard it before, you need to click on the YouTube link, turn it up very loud, stand up in an area where you won’t break anything valuable, and just do what you need to do for 3 minutes.

 The build up and release (a/k/a The Drop, as described in 9/10s of all current Rolling Stone articles.  I swear they'd say Creedence used bass drops if they published an article tomorrow) is freaking fantastic.  This type of music is apparently derived from Dubstep, which is a thing in the UK.  According to RS, people trying to insult Skrillex call is Brostep because it attracts bro-ey douches.  I get that too.  And this particular video features little kids stealing ice cream from a weird scary ice cream guy, which is awesome in its own right.  Unless the scheduling goes wrong, I think I’ll need to be in the middle of a crowd of 19 year olds jumping up and down while this plays.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

I am upset that you recommended this, as I just played "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" at high volume on my headphones 3 times straight and now want to chest bump everyone at work. I also wanted to know what the girl screaming was from, and then I wasted 15 minutes going down a rabbit hole of learning about "speedstacking." I both love and hate the internet sometimes.