Monday, May 12, 2014

The Districts

Loose indie Americana rock.  From a pack of Pennsylvania teenagers, which makes it way cooler.  Rolling Stone favorably compares them to the Lumineers, which is a pretty apt comparison.  Maybe a little more bluesy, but in the same vein.

I'm curious if that song was in a commercial or TV show or something, because it has 238k listens on Spotify while the rest of their songs don't even cross over into 6 digits.  These guys sound kind of like the Whigs to me, which is a compliment, I like the Whigs.  The singer is way into his craft in that video - he even has to rip off his harmonica holder at one point so that he can truly tear into his howling.  Sometimes those hamonica holders can be super restrictive to howling, maybe when he's a big star he can afford a minion to just hold it for him and allow howling room.

They only have one EP available on Spotify, but it is promising stuff.  Here is the second most listened to song, Long Distance:

I hope they get more than the 17 fans in that video when they play ACL.  This feels like a buzzy band (regardless of the lack of buzz I've heard) that may get a big crowd of I-heard-them-firsters.  Personally, I think they need to change their name to something less generic and then get after it.  I like what they're doing.  Uno mas (like a mini-documentary about making a song, which is kinda cool):


Only 2,362 views, so not yet burning up the YouTube charts...  But they apparently dropped out of school to make this happen, which is highly rock and roll of them, so I'm hoping they make it happen.

No comments: