Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Replacements

I love that ACL is bringing these guys back and introducing them to a wide swath of sub-30 year olds who are in the dark.  I came to them via Paul Westerberg and the Singles Soundtrack (the best!  Touch Me I’m Dick!  Seriously, do you know of a better soundtrack?  Maybe Rocky 4, but nope.) when they were already broken up.  They are kind of the O.G. indie music, confessional lyrics over loose, jangly rock.  Top hit in my mind is I’ll Be You (check this awesome video!):

Alex Chilton also gets some play time on the radio and is a fun rock song ("I’m in love, what’s that song?" is a fun singalong lyric.):

 This song popped up into the public again a few years ago when Alex Chilton died and lots of nerdy nerd music people tried to make the point that Big Star was the greatest band ever.  I don’t buy it.  Here Comes a Regular is the most listened to song on Spotify - Good song, perfect mix-tape-for-your-crush in 1988 type music.  Pleased to Meet Me is my favorite of their albums.  This is a band I’d like to see, but if someone exciting is up against them, I think they’ll lose out.

No comments: