Thursday, July 2, 2015

Cherub

Disco-ey auto-tuned synth pop.  One big song (that I had never heard before just now) and then a bunch down in the million listen range.  Two guys from Tennessee making synth pop through several albums, 2011's Man of the Hour, 2012's MoM and DaD, and then the 2014 Year of the Caprese.  The big song, with 25.5 million spins, is cringe-ingly called "Doses & Mimosas."
Kind of a fun track.  The chorus sounds like when Andre 3000 sings - thought it was a guest appearance for a bit.  "To all the bitch ass hoes, that hate me the most, oh yeah, I hate you too" - I'm sure the chorus of that tune is their biggest moment at their concerts for all the sorority girls to yell along with.
And then there are the jokey songs - "Strip to This" (a goofy stripper ode set to a cheap casio bassanova beat) or "Disco Shit" (pretty much about the fact that this is that sweet disco shit) or "Freaky Me, Freaky You" (auto-tuned goof about his girl's booty).  These are not especially good songs, even if I did grin when listening to them.  The second most listened to track is from MoM & DaD (man, I hate people who mess with capitalization), called "XOXO," with about 3.5 million spins.
Yeah.  OK.  Not really doing much for me.  Snappy little disco groove and all that, but I know that I'll have trouble remembering anything from this in a month when looking back over the bands I've reviewed.  Just blandly danceable.

No comments: