Monday, July 27, 2015

Rankings: Top Ten

The daily schedule is to be announced in a few days, which will be its usual brutal day of reckoning and destroy all of my hopes to see everything I want to see.  But until then, I have been trying to organize my thoughts about the best things coming to the festival.  I have tried to do this in a Flickchart method - if the two bands were playing the same slot, who wins the face-off.  In working my way through that, I have come up with my top ten bands that must be seen.

You are free to (incorrectly) disagree with these, but this was a very scientific method of choosing things, so I know I'm not wrong.
  1. Foo Fighters.  I know they've been here somewhat recently, but it doesn't matter.  I dig them and I'd pay for tickets just to see them play a show on their own.
  2. Gary Clark, Jr.  Local blues rock stud made good, I invite him to melt my face.
  3. Hozier.  Blues rock badassery.  The more I listen to his album, the more it clicks with me.
  4. Tame Impala.  I was late to this party, but I'm all in now on this psych rock action.
  5. The Decemberists.  Dear Mr. Meloy, please play your most recent two albums.
  6. Alabama Shakes.  Hoping for better sound than last time, but still looking forward to this killer-voiced blues rock.
  7. A$AP Rocky.  I love good rap, that's my f***in' problem!  I know most people would rather see Drake, but he's too R&B-ish for my tastes.
  8. Royal Blood.  New-comer I'd never heard of, but this is kick ass grungy rock.
  9. Moon Taxi.  I'm heavily influenced by the last time I saw then, but this is real deal rock and roll.
  10. TV on the Radio.  Innovative indie rock that ought to light up live.
You can pretty easily tell what I like to hear from that list - other than Rocky, it is all rock-based stuff.  No surprise if you have read the reviews.  We'll get a little further afield as I move down into the next few tranches, but I am clearly ready to hear the rock at the Fest.

1 comment: