Friday, July 10, 2015

The Eagle Rock Gospel Singers

Gospel stage, although this is less of the traditional gospel like the other bands coming in October, and more blues/bluegrass/rock that happens to have religious lyrics.  None of their songs has more than 1,000 listens on Spotify, but according to the order of songs in the "Popular" list, "Mmlj" takes the crown as the most popular.
Matthew Mark Luke and John!  I was hoping for some sort of My Morning Jacket angle on that song title.  Looks like fun though.  Hoedown!  One album in their Spotify listing, named The Eagle Rock Gospel Singers, from 2013.  Other popular tracks are "Jesus is Real" (sounds like a field hymn from Oh Brother), "What Paul Did" (I guess "on the stoning line" wouldn't have sounded as cool?), and "Thunder and Lightning" (another fine hoedown clap-along).  Here is their most listened to YouTube video, "Little Light," jammed in the van.
They are making that little van (or Winnebago, or whatever it is) bounce!  Good tune.  Tight rhythm and nice harmonies.  I can dig it, and I bet their live shows are a blast.  As an indication of the tunes, I actually just kept listening to it the morning after writing about their music, so its good enough to keep enjoying even after I have to, unlike any of the other gospel acts coming to ACL.


No comments: