Thursday, July 30, 2015

G-Eazy

Rap.  His Spotify bio says he is known as the "James Dean of rap."  Vomit.  His 2014 album These Things Happen has millions of plays per song, with one - "I Mean It" - cracking 38.5 million.  When I first looked at this back in April, he only had 20 million listens for that song.  

That tune is dope. Auto-tune is annoying, but I'm going to let it slide in favor of the chilly beat, good lyrics (about humping your girlfriend!  Sick burn!), and funny video.  His album is kind of up-and-down uneven, going from light R&B garbagio ("Let's Get Lost") to dumb concepts ("Tumblr Girls") to soft-core guitar crap ("Remember You") to pretty good, if overly repetitive, rap ("Lotta That" with A$AP Ferg or "Far Alone" with E-40).  He also has a remix of "I Mean It" with Rick Ross on it that is a fine remake.  "Been On" is also pretty slick.

That R&B track, "Let's Get Lost," is his second most listened-to track on Spotify, with just over 20 million spins.  His voice in there reminds me of Macklemore, that nasal, straight talking delivery.  Not sure if that is good or bad.
That one is OK.  I'd keep listening to him based on "I Mean It," but if "Let's Get Lost" was the single I heard, I'd never go hunt down the album.  Here is "Lotta That," which has almost 14 million spins on Spotify.
Trappy, tight beat.  A$AP Ferg is funny to me.

G-Eazy also has a Spotify Sessions album available on Spotify that is apparently a live show from SXSW 2014. I have to say that listening to it doesn't make me all that terribly excited about seeing him play a live show. Sounds like he uses a live band, which I respect as a cool musical move, but it also exposes the music when he can't rely on sweet production to make his songs sound better than they are.  I'm going to add "I Mean It" to my rap playlist for sure, but I won't go see him in October.

No comments: