Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Father John Misty

Wonderful indie psych folk.  Music so good I apparently can't pick one label that makes any sense. Father John Misty (J. Tillman) was the drummer for the Fleet Foxes, and I loved their brand of music, so I gave this guy a shot when he broke from them in 2011.  The music isn't a 180 degree departure from the sounds of the Foxes, but it is definitely its own animal.  The tunes are fully relaxed throwback tunes echoing the golden age of the famed Laurel Canyon sound.  Mostly acoustic guitar, some light synths, basic drums, and his warm tenor weaving harmony through it all.  Although sometimes he kicks in a little electric, to good result.

The most listened-to tune on Spotify is off of his debut (I say that, although the Spotify bio talks about four albums that were released under his J. Tillman name prior to joining the Fleet Foxes) from 2012 called Fear Fun.  With just over 5.8 million spins on Spotify, it just barely beats out two other tracks as his most heard, "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings"
"Jesus Christ, girl" is a great line, I've been singing it to myself all weekend.  Aubrey Plaza bringing the crazy to that video.  The rest of that album is likewise good stuff - "Now I'm Learning to Love the War," "Everyman Needs a Companion," "I'm Writing a Novel," "Nancy from Now On," even the country-fied "Tee Pees 1-12."  Great disc to relax to or enjoy on a drive.  And yes, I purchased it back when buying music was a thing.  Way back in those dark times.

Misty's 2015 album, I Love You, Honeybear, is likewise a fully-formed and beautiful collection of relaxed jams.  I reviewed it a few months ago, and still keep coming back in my mind to the performance I linked on there of "Bored in the USA," which was crazy powerful.  His most popular track on Spotify right now is from this album, with almost 5.5 million listens.  Here is "Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)"
Amazing lyrics, well done sound.  Like the rest of the album, it feels like he's not even trying, and yet he's hammering out some of the best sounds I've heard in a long time.  That being said, I much prefer that original acoustic sound to the drum machine-driven "True Affection."  Overall, great music, lyrics, feel, sound.  Hope to get to see him at the Fest (although I'd like it even more if I could see an ACL taping of him).

No comments: