Saturday, July 4, 2015

Albert Hammond Jr. [updated]

Strokes guitarist making Strokes-ian rock for himself.  I have listened through the whole of the collection available on Spotify 3 or 4 times (one 2008 album, a 2013 EP, and a few singles), and it is all just fine.  I was about to hit play again, but I'd really rather move along and find something else to hear.

His most listened to track is called "GfC" and is just shy of 700k spins.
I like it well enough, it just doesn't reach out with anything special to my ears.  Nice sound, pretty enough guitar noodling, all good.  But nothing special for me.  His top three songs on Spotify's popularity-o-meter are all from that 2013 EP, and the most listened to of that group is called "St. Justice."
Again, pleasant groove and nice guitar picking.  Like he says in the song "I can't explain it." For some reason, this has the hallmarks of something that would interest me and yet I'm just looking forward to moving on to the next band.

[Update August 4, 2015]  His new album came out - 2015's Momentary Masters - and it changes my opinion of his music.  This album is good.  Rock with more than a pinch of funk mixed in makes for a pretty snappy album of good tunes.  He also covers Dylan, which I would normally find obnoxious, but he puts a nice touch on it.  A couple tunes sound like good Strokes songs, but in general terms, its a good rock album.  I still likely won't keep it in rotation after a few listens, but this is definitely better than his older solo albums.  Here is "Losing Touch."

No comments: