Friday, July 17, 2015

TV on the Radio

Indie rock innovators.  Their most recent album, Seeds, kicks ass.  I reviewed it last year after it came out and liked it a lot.  Ever since then, when I hear "Happy Idiot" on the radio, I can't help myself from turning it up and jamming it out.
Racer Steven and his car, Sky Blue.  Yes, that is Pee Wee Herman.  Love the lyrics and think the entire tune is a jam.  Driving, funky, and somehow introspective at the same time. A little New Wave-ish on the guitar.  Really great sound.  However, this is only their second most listened-to track on Spotify (11.2 million).  Songs from that new album make up 7 of their top ten, so it looks like the rest of the world agrees that it is their best work to date.  From that new album, I also dig "Careful You," "Seeds," and "Trouble."

The most listened-to track is "Wolf Like Me," from 2006's Return to Cookie Mountain, with almost 13 million jams.
Another good track.  This album was named Spin's top album of 2006, and I think parts of it are the best thing other than Seeds.  One member of the band, Dave Sitek, is frequently noted as working with other folks on their albums/singles, so I think he must have a good ear for what works in music.

2008's album Dear Science was named top album of 2008 by Rolling Stone, Spin, and a bunch of other publications.  I bought it, based on those reviews, but I've never connected with it despite multiple listens.  The most listened-to track from that album on Spotify, the only one to crack the band's top ten, is "DLZ," with 8.4 million listens.
This song was apparently featured on Breaking Bad, which may be the reason for the increased popularity.  It is different from the rest of the album, a little more slinky and ominous.  I think my beef with the album is that it starts out strong - "Halfway Home," "Crying," and "Dancing Choose" are good rocking tunes - but then it devolves into less interesting, offbeat things like "Stork & Owl" or "Heroic Dose."  The album is good, not sure if it is best album of the year good, and I think that Seeds is quite a bit more relate-able and accessible.  
I've listened through their other albums as well (2011's Nine Types of Light, 2004's Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes, 2004's New Health Rock, and 2003's Young Liars) and I just don't click with any of it nearly so well as on the new album.  Which seems like a good thing - a band that gets better over time seems like the right trajectory.  I just hope they lean heavy on the new album when they come through town.

I'm excited to see them play live - even though I still think we're missing a true headliner or two, this band ought to put on a great show worthy of a nice big audience.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

I'm going to revisit them, because they are a band I want to like a lot more than I do. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't dislike them at all...but I feel like (and I haven't listened to their new album) I can listen to their music for 30 minutes and not remember anything I've heard. However...i'm going to give them a chance.

They have to be better than the Foo Fighters, right?