Friday, July 10, 2015

In the Valley Below

Huh.  From the band name and the cover art for their album (a quilt), I figured this was going to be retro-beardo-folk music, but instead it is electronic indie pop.  Which, honestly, sounds like something I'd hate, but I have actually enjoyed listening to this band.

One album, 2014's The Belt, with one tune that looks like it was probably a hit that I just never heard. That song, their most listened-to by almost 1.5 million at 5.5 million, is called "Peaches."
Snappy little groove.  And Spotify offers not one, but seven remixes of that track.  No thanks!  A friend sent me a link to the analytics tool for YouTube the other night, and it is a pretty fun little toy to play with on artists.  For these guys, the following facts are reflected in their YouTube data:

  • In Sept. 2014, they were getting about 3,000 views a day, as of June 28, 2015, that was up to more than 22,000 a day.  Pretty good direction for them to be headed in.
  • Peaches has just over 2.3 million views.
  • Their top ten most viewed-in cities includes six from the US, then Mexico City, London, Madrid, and Warsaw.  Austin clocks in at #22 with 7,176 total views. Chicago is #1 at 25,439 views.  Being that the band is from L.A., it makes sense to clock in at 2nd place with 23,612 views.
Anyway, the second most popular track they've got is called "Hymnal," with just barely over 4 million spins on Spotify.
Simple and kinda creepy.  "Wish I'd found you sooner, could have loved you longer."  Pretty tune and I actually like the lyrics, but the tone of the song makes them sound like a creeper anthem instead of a love song to a dead love.  I doubt I'll go see these guys, but I actually enjoyed listening to them today.

No comments: