Friday, July 10, 2015

Mikaela Davis

So much harp.  The kick off of her top two songs on Spotify both start out with a heavy dose of harp action.  Only one album (2012's Mikaela Davis) and one EP (2013's Fortune Teller) to check out, but you can tell immediately that the gal plays the harp.  It is actually pretty pleasant indie music, reminding me of the harp portions of an old Bjork tune.  She has a lovely voice as well.  This sounds like Wes Anderson dreamed it all up to back up a new movie about a family of yaks being raised in Greenland by a jaded child harp prodigy or something.

The most listened to song on Spotify, by a pretty wide margin, is "Feels Like Forever, with 106 listens.  This isn't the studio version, but you'll see what I am talking about.

Jammin' that harp, yo!  I don't know if playing a harp is difficult, but for some reason it seems to me that it would be significantly harder to concentrate on hitting those eight billion strings just right to make these songs, while singing, than it would to be the drummer or guitarist who handles singing duties.  Huh.  According to the Internets, a harp only has 47 strings.  Looks like 8 billion to me. Either way, I feel impressed that she can sing while still jamming the harp-age.  This is one of my favorites from her album, "Oh Brother."  Check the harp domination at the start of the video.
She is literally picking with all of her fingers, with different patterns at the same time.  Looks insanely hard!  Nice.  Her video selection on YouTube leaves something to be desired, but this one appears to be a honest to goodness music video.  This is "Dreaming," her third most listened-to song with 20,826 spins on Spotify.
Sweet treasure map.  I think this music is really pretty cool.  I don't think I'll go see her play in October, but it is good music to chill to in the office.

No comments: