Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Rayland Baxter

Great music.  Never heard of his before just now, but he is good bluesy rock and alt-country stuff. One album from 2012, Feathers and Fishhooks, a 2013 EP, and then two 2015 singles.  The full album has the alt-country flavor, the EP is more blues rock sounding, and the new tunes are a little more jammy sounding.  His most popular track is "Bad Things," from that 2013 EP, with 447k listens.
Sounds like something to soundtrack a Justified episode or something dark and terrible happening on True Detective.  Great tune.  My other favorite comes from the 2012 album, and happens to be his second-most listened-to track, called "Olivia."
Nice love song.  No studio version available, but that version is a good one anyway.  The album opener, "The Mtn Song" is also a keeper, as is "Hoot Owl" a countrified waltz that fits like a worn glove.  This isn't knock-out, must-hear music, but I like it quite a bit.  I kept listening to the album and EP about 2 days longer than for most people I've been hearing, so it definitely connected somewhere with me.  Maybe I'll go see what this guy sounds like live.

No comments: