Monday, May 4, 2015

Alabama Shakes

This entry started out as a Quick Hits note about their new album, but I hadn't yet published it when I found out they'd be at ACL.  When they were at the ACL Fest in 2012, they had one of the small-ish stages and their sound was just terrible.  You couldn't hear anything that was happening, so I was pretty disappointed in the show (with no fault to the band).  After listening to this new album a few times, I'm pretty psyched to see the show.

Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color.  Holy hell. This album is great.  Bluesy, soulful, powerful rock and roll that sticks in my brain.  The Rolling Stone press I had read about the new album made me wary, they kept talking about how this one was ambitious and strange.  I don't think it is strange at all - the Black Keys have killed it with this brand of southern blues rock classicism mixed with slight psychedelia, but the Shakes just add a killer lead singer to shred over the top of the tunes.  There really isn't a dud on here, although I won't lie, the jams are way better than the more chilled tunes ("Guess Who" or "Over My Head").  I think "Gemini," the six and a half minute long psych burner, is awesome.  I have no clue why the band's friends would have been turned off by that track. Anyway, go check this stuff out.  You'll like it or you are dumb.  Here is "Don't Wanna Fight," live on SNL:
Good gravy, their bassist looks like a character from the stop motion version of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.  So much hair.  That track, plus "Gimme All Your Love" are both freaking killer blues rock jam tunes.  Loving this album.  Here is "Gimme All Your Love," also on SNL:
Strong ass strongness!  Get 'em!  I'll definitely go check them out.

In case you missed their old album, here is the hit from back then, called "Hold On"

No comments: