Saturday, April 26, 2014

Blackberry Smoke

Is that Freedom Rock?!  Well, turn it up!!!  Big grin on my face after the first stanza of the first song – six pack of Shiner Bock, Ray Wylie Hubbard’s Red Neck Mother, and takin’ some chicks down to the lake for some skinnydippin’.  Oh yeah. 


This song demands to be played from your truck while you leave town for a weekend at the lake.  Like horse-head-in-bed-offer-you-can't-refuse demands.  Large beards, trucker hats, long hair, serious guitar licks (sounds like two guitars).  I think you just have to give in, jam some air guitar and go with it.  My first thought was Allman Brothers or Skynyrd, but they’ve got some jam band and some Toby Keith-style new country mixed in there as well.  Damn fine party music.  Maybe Black Crowes is a good reference?



 I bet these guys put on a fun live show – good time to get hammered and sing along and do a dipshit loose-limbed dance to impress the girls in the daisy dukes.  Their new album is really pretty solid from front to back – I really think you could convince yourself it was the Black Crowes if Chris Robinson was the one singing.  It’s the Black Browes!  I love the Black Crowes.  I’m in.  Even more awesome the more I listen to these albums.  If you don’t nod your head and say hell yeah every once in a while when listening to these dudes, then you are: (1) not from ‘round here; (2) some dirty carpetbagger sumbitch who probably loves Belle & Sebastian; or (3) a total wuss who is scared of awesomeness.  Boom, takedown!

No comments: