Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Iggy Azelea

So, this is a white Australian female rapper who sounds like the she’s from the Dirty South.  I am having a hard time reconciling all of that information I just wrote in that first sentence.  She has beats that straddle the line between electronic music/pop type production (some little build and drop stuff), but then still have some of those basic Atlanta-ish rap notes (like a male voice saying “hey” on the beat over and over again, or the skittering little trap sounds Young Jeezy uses, or snaps and claps).  Her new album (2014) is called The New Classic.  That is dumb.  After listening to the album, it’s pretty good.  Relatively generic – lots of boasting about how she spends her money and she’s a super cool biatch, but good enough for a second listen.  Maybe.  I’m still listening as I write this and I’m not sure I can take Goddess again.  According to Spotify listening numbers, Work is her hit:

But I thought that Fancy was better:

 After watching that video (and excellent Clueless redux), I will not be shocked AT ALL if she ends up being the new Milli Vanilli.  Good looking little Aussie blond girl with a sailor’s mouth spitting Lil Kim.  I think I’ll leave her show alone.

UPDATE:  Except that Fancy is apparently the JAM!  I've heard it on the radio a few times now and it has totally stuck in my ear, especially the Gwen Stefani-esque hook.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

1st, I love that you are doing this.

2nd, Fancy is the jam. I haven't gotten Noah on board yet, but in my opinion, it will be the 'Swimming Pools (drank)' of ACL this year