Thursday, April 24, 2014

Calvin Harris

My friend JC made a fine observation when we were talking about the Lolla lineup and imagining what might come to ACL – Calvin Harris does not sound like a Euro-EDM powerhouse, he sounds like a backup point guard for the Dallas Mavericks.  After listening to his music for a little bit, I think he might actually be a backup point guard for the Dallas Mavericks.  Just not really my scene.  
But I am apparently in the minority, since he was the highest grossing DJ in the world in 2013 and has won a pile of Grammys and VMA awards.  I’m trying to think of how to explain what it sounds like.  Building, layering synths and drums with a little bit of super generic singing.  Or some massive star doing the singing for him.  Lines like “Your heartbeat is solid gold, I love you, you’ll never know.”  It feels like something people would Jazzercise to in order to avoid anything offensive but still get young and hip.  His most popular one with just him (still 54 million listens) is Feel So Close which I recognize from the radio - the Boy likes crap music.

However, most of his songs have some major star doing the singing (and therefore attracting loads of views/listens).  His most popular song on Spotify is We Found Love, which is a little unfair because it features Rihanna who is huge in her own right.  341 MILLION freaking views on YouTube.

I’ve heard that song many a time, but thought it was Rihanna, not him, so maybe that is the source of a lot of his popularity.  I have a feeling that the only way I am going to see this guy is if he is before one of the big headliners I am going to be seeing.  I hope he takes Lionel Richie's slot and I can just head home early on Sunday night.

No comments: