Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Empires

The Cult?  No, after listening to a full album, they are good 90’s alternative with some wooooahh wooooaaaah current rock singalong moments thrown in for good measure.  None of their songs have more than 50k listens on Spotify, so they are still up and coming, but they were apparently up for the front cover of Rolling Stone until they didn’t win and had to go cry at home.  They don’t have much available on YouTube, but here is a pretty slick little promo video done for SXSW:


That song is from their new album, which has more of a pop punk sound like this, I think I’m sticking with The Fray as my best comparison.  Or maybe one of those other bands I associate with Grey’s Anatomy.  Whatever, I like it well enough.  Harder than I recall the Fray being.  Garage Hymns is the new disc.  Lots better than their earlier one (Bang), which is weaker, more like a bad Killers facsimile.  I'd probably give these dudes a shot.

1 comment:

Cary Hendricks said...

Kind of cool. I can't imagine standing through an entire show of these dudes though. They are entertaining to have on in the background. Their casio is a bit more high powered than Rebelution's.