Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Phantogram

Never heard of this name at all.  Female singer over pretty catchy new wave-y electronic.  Drum machine with glitch little stuff over the top.  According to their Wikipedia page, they were the ones who appeared on Big Boi’s last album, singing the hook on a few songs.  Those songs were terrible – I kept wondering why Big Boi needed to add some weak-voiced hook singer to his songs.  I am listening to their 2014 album Voices, and it’s actually good.  Making me re-think the fact that I thought they were weak with Big Boi. Catchy little ditties with just the one female singer.  Don’t Move is their top single on Spotify:

Not bad but not great.  When I’m Small is their second most popular one on Spotify, and it is quite a bit cooler.  Some funky business in the background of that one.

Their 2011 album (Nightlife) seems like they’d be nice to put on in the background while you are doing something else, but I was not sold after listening through it a few times.  But their new 2014 album (Voices) is much more fun and interesting.  Fall in Love is the hit that is getting radio play and popularity on Spotify right now:

That one is slinky and head-bobbing stuff.  I still can't decide whether this would translate to a good live show, but maybe I'll give them a chance.

No comments: