Monday, May 18, 2015

Brandon Flowers {UPDATE}

Disappointingly bland pop rock from the lead singer for the Killers.  Truly a bummer to me.  The Killers' Hot Fuss was a freaking great album, coming out of left field with retro-80's pop synth-rock flourishes and really fun songs.  A lot of people crapped on their next album, Sam's Town, but I thought it was pretty good too, even if not as good as the debut.  So I have high hopes for the continuation of those albums.

Well, this ain't Hot Fuss.  His only available solo disc is called Flamingo, from 2010.  Here is the most popular tune overall on Spotify, which is from that album, called "Crossfire."
I mean, not terrible, its just super generic sounding soft rock.  The album opener, "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" is a sweeping love-song-to / warning-about Las Vegas.  "Didn't nobody tell you, the house will always win!"  Not an especially good album.  I also listened to the top ten most popular tunes on Spotify a few times, and there are some that are better than others, but still not nearly as good as the original Killers tunes.  Here is the title song that I think will be on the new album that is purportedly already out (just not available on Spotify), "Lonely Town."
Oh man.  Auto Tune in the house?  Check.  Backup choir?  Yup.  Synth blips to hope that people remember the Killers?  Of course.  Honestly, not a terrible song, but also not something that I'll ever need to hear again.  I doubt I'll go see him play, but we'll see about the schedule.

[Updated on 7/23/15]  His full new album is now out, as of May 15, 2015.  Called The Desired Effect.  I have to say it is better than that older album (Flamingo).  It still isn't something I'd ever buy, or probably even listen to again, but it has some good songs on there.  "Can't Deny My Love" is actually pretty snappy.  But some of these other songs are soft rock schmaltz.  Maybe I'd go see him, but I doubt it.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

"Hot Fuss" was such an amazing debut that melded 80s synth and beats with great hooks and solid rock beats. Still one of my favorite fun albums to listen to. I'm also with you on Sam's Town, which was more up and down, but it's highs were on par with Hot Fuss though I thought more a melding of 80s Springsteen than alt-rock.

Then Day and Age came out, and to me it was big change in their sound. Gone was much of the rockish, new wave, alt sound and more of dance songs that were meant (and I"m sure were) turned into mixes that were played on dance floors across the country. It still had some great songs on it, "Spaceman" and "I Can't Stay" are particular highlights and hell, even the awful lyrics of "Human" eventually grew on me. But this was the first album that there were some songs that were unlistenable - "Dustland Fairytale" is garbage, especially because you could tell Flowers thought he was being SUPER deep in it. Ugh. (Speaking of Flowers, nobody likes them some Flowers more than Flowers. I believe he said that the songwriting on "Sam's Town" was the best songwriting since the White Album. Well, then.

I listened to "Battle Born" a few times, and found it all to be similar sounding dancy, blah synth pop. It's not bad, but from a band that made "Hot Fuss", it's super disappointing and strange.

Let's just say I'm not excited about this solo album. I shall now go crank "Somebody Told Me" and turn it up to 11....