Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Echosmith

Pop rock with a huge hit under their belt.  I thought I'd never heard of them when I pulled them up on Spotify, but their most popular song is most definitely something I've heard (and heard and heard). Here is "Cool Kids"
39 million YouTube hits and 164 million Spotify spins.  One hundred and sixty four million!!!  The song has such a great, crisp sound - I love the clean tone of it.  The lead singer has a great voice as well.  And the lyrics are truth about what its like to be young and struggling.  Good song.

Of note, the band is comprised entirely of siblings.  And when I looked at pictures of them, I thought they all looked like children.  I wasn't entirely too far off - the drummer is 16, lead singer is 18, and then the two older brothers are 19 and 22.  In the realm of creepy facts you can use to impress your friends, the band is managed by their father, who is named Jeffrey David.  Assuming Wikipedia is truthful (which is a stretch of an assumption) all three of the boys in the band have the same middle names - Jeffrey David.  Weird.

Their debut album came out in 2013, called Talking Dreams.  Other than the double platinum "Cool Kids," a second single was released and has gotten some radio play and chart position as well.  Here is "Bright"
This tune reminds me of something from Taylor Swift's country-lite days.  It is not as catchy and world-dominating as "Cool Kids," but its a really nice song.  The rest of the album tracks in between these two tunes, tuneful pop rock that is quite enjoyable.  "Nothing's Wrong," "Tell Her You Love Her," there are several other good songs on the album.  We'll see how the schedule plays out, but I think I'd like to go check these kids out.

No comments: