Tuesday, May 5, 2015

2015 Official Lineup

Woohoo!  The official lineup dropped early this morning at 6 a.m.  I know that the line-up had already leaked over the weekend, but the real deal lineup is still reason to celebrate.

Boom!
acl weekend 1

After two nights to marinate over the line-up, I have warmed to it considerably.  I still think they are missing a major artist or two for the top of the line-up (and I was hoping to see someone new pop up in between the leak and now), but the middle tier bands that will be here are going to be fantastic.  A few thoughts on those, which I'll flesh out considerably later, but thought it would be fun to get the conversation started now.

  • Alabama Shakes.  New album is awesome.
  • Hozier.  One of my favorite albums of last year.  Really great stuff.
  • Of Monsters and Men.  The new track off of their upcoming album sounds great.
  • Bassnectar.  I'm no EDM mastermind, but what I know of this guy is more like really good rap and hard rock than the current generic EDM stuff.
  • Sturgill Simpson.  Put on a great show at Stubbs the other night.
  • The Decembrists.  One of my favorite albums of the year so far.  Looking forward to this.
  • Gary Clark Jr.  His live album last year was fantastic.  Can't wait for this one.
  • TV on the Radio.  Seeds is a great disc.
  • A$AP Rocky.  Already looking forward to the new album, hoping for more greatness.
  • Chance the Rapper.  Interested to see him play live after listening to his mixtape for a few years.
  • Billy Idol.  Come on, I know you wouldn't (probably) go pay to see him play on his own, but you're trying to tell me you wouldn't air guitar your ass off to Rebel Yell and White Wedding?
  • Dwight Yoakum.  Classic!  And the new album is pretty good too.
  • Father John Misty.  New album is great.
  • Run the Jewels.  On a ton of best albums of the year lists from last year, I dig them, and should be really strong live.
  • Shakey Graves.  Austin boy making great rock.
  • Jose Gonzalez.  Just wrote about how nice his new album is.  Hope for a nice Sunday afternoon set.
  • Houndmouth.  Cool new band I've been listening to the past few weeks.
  • Moon Taxi.  Sweet!  Saw them at an after show several years ago and would love to see them again.
And then a HUGE pile of stuff I've never even heard of.  I've got my work cut out for me to get through all of this, but with the Foo Fighters and Drake for the big shows, then all of those great middle tier bands, I'm actually really excited for this one.  Now to listen to 108 bands over the next few months!

3 comments:

Joseph Cathey said...

The 2015 ACL lineup is the 2015 Boston Celtics...it's got a great 4-12 roster, but just missing the, ya know, 3 best players a team needs to win a title.

The middle tiers (as Jack aptly described above) is great. Really deep and full of good stuff. And Modest Mouse! I will make you love Modest Mouse Jack!!!

But the upper tier is a diarrhea fest. The only two of the top 6 'headliners" that should ever make a top-6 are Drake and the Foo Fighters. Drake is not my scene, but I'm fine with him being one of the Friday or Saturday headliners. Ditto the Foo Fighters, who I think make generic, lame rock and roll - but people love them, so that's cool. But to be THE act to close each weekend? Come on. That's like the 1997 Bulls running a game winning play for Toni Kukoc instead of Michael. It's dumb. Last year it was Pearljam. PEARLJAM! Jack, I know you love the Foos...but you can't compare them to Pearljam. It's just stupid.

I have no idea who the Weeknd is, except a band in dire need of another vowel. Everyone should immediately recognize the top two lines. I've heard of this name, but they could have only released albums of chimps farting. I have no idea.

The Strokes are the #3 band? Didn't they have 2 good albums like 14 years ago? On this logic why not have Incubus or Creed close one night? Good lord. Look, I like the Strokes. I'd be happy to see the Strokes. But if they are on your top line, your festival sucks dick.

Disclosure sounds like a band that Pitchfork loves and that would leave me bored to death.

DeadMau5. I get it, your "5" is an "S". You suck.

Bassnectar - I think they're fine. But again, 3 lines down.

The top of this lineup is a donkey show.

Joseph Cathey said...

AND DON'T YOU DARE WARM TO THIS JACK! STICK TO YOUR GUNS!

Joseph Cathey said...

(to steal and alter a line from UT grads)

...It's 10:15am on May 21.....and the top of this lineup still sucks.