Thursday, May 14, 2015

Songhoy Blues

As of 9/11/15, this one is no longer listed on the lineup.

Traditional and modern takes on Mali-an tunes.  This is four dudes from Mali who just put out their debut album this year, called Music in Exile.  Ace guitar work and a sweet groove mark just about all of these songs, although I don't speak the language to know whether or not the lyrics are anything special.  Their most listened to track is called "Soubour" with about 114k listens on Spotify:
Jam on, my man.  Graceland grooves. The second most listened to track is also pretty funky - called "Al Hassidi Terei"
That video makes me want to vomit, but they sure look happy to be singing about whatever they are singing about!  Sweet groove, tight tune.  I tried to look up that the song title means, but the internet was being a pain in the ass.  According to Google Translate, the song title means "Al Hassidi I Will" in Portuguese.  Which doesn't really seem all that helpful.  Anyway, cool band with a fun sound. Maybe I'll go check them out to get a little funk and fun into my day.

No comments: