Thursday, May 7, 2015

Boots


Dora's best friend!

I found an EP of his available on Spotify, but then when I looked up his name on the Internet was confused.  Maybe there are two Boots?  Because this EP (2015's Motorcycle Jesus OST) is rock in the Nine Inch Nails vein, but then I read that Boots is a guy who was apparently responsible for writing and/or producing much of Beyonce's 2013 album.  And I don't know how you match those two things together. After doing some more research, it looks like the EP is actually the soundtrack for a movie, so it is not representative of his other music.  Here is the currently most popular track on Spotify, the opener titled "Mercy."
Huh.  I listened to that track a handful of times and wasn't all that interested, but listening to it again just now while watching that video, I feel like it clicked better with me.  A slow builder that starts with soft singing and little music and then ends with jagged guitar riffs.  Some cool lyrical turns of phrase in there too.  This next one is not on his EP, and sounds more like what you would expect from the guy who collaborated with Queen Bey, "Dust"
Interesting music.  Not quite entirely sure what to think of it, or how it could translate to a festival setting.  Not feeling it all that well just yet, we'll see if I change my mind over time.

No comments: