Saturday, May 16, 2015

Years & Years {UPDATED}

Synth dance R&B-ish-ness out of England.  Sounds like Bieber singing over Disclosure.  Spotify only has one EP and a handful of singles available, but the most popular song ("King") has 51 million listens, so these guys aren't quite as under the radar as one might expect.  Here is that tune:

It's a pretty bad ass pop tune.  Listen to it three times and then try to get it out of your head.  The rest of their music isn't this good, but its still fine synth pop.  Here is the second-most listened to track on Spotify, "Desire"
Again, heavy dose of Disclosure-esque electro with a pretty good voice soaring over the top.  They've also got a reggae influenced track ("Take Shelter") and a quieter chill tune or two ("Real" or "Memo").  This is not my normal type of music, but I have to say that "King" is good enough for me to keep listening to. Maybe I'll go see these dudes do their thing.

[Update on 7/23/15]  A full album is now out for these cats, called Communion, released July 10. I've run through it - not much change in opinion from listening to their EP, although listening to the whole thing makes me like them less.  "King" is still a great pop nugget, but a lot of the album is more electro R&B that doesn't do much for me.  In fact, as I bring a second listen to a close, this is not good.

No comments: