Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Flosstradamus

I had no clue what I was about to hear on this one, but holy crap this is some fun EDM stuff.  Two guys, each with slick sounding DJ names (Autobot and J2K) from Chicago make some bass-heavy dance electro that is a pretty good time.  Spotify doesn't have a full-length album release, but there are a bunch of EPs and singles.  The top track in the "Popular" list is over the top and awesome, called "Soundclash"
I won't try to tell you that this is ground-breaking new music or anything, but if you don't feel that beat a little bit, then you ought to check your pulse. The second most popular one in the Spotify list features Waka Flocka Flame, and is similarly right in line with the usual EDM tropes - trap clicks, bass, build up to drop, etc., but I don't even care, it made me bob my head anyway.
The next two most popular ("Rollup (Baauer Remix)" and "Pillz" also blast pretty aggressively.  Also, their website is awesomely Tripod/Geocities-esque, which is great.  They've got a Lil Jon tune on their newest EP ("Prison Riot") that sounds like they have just taken every potential item from the bag of hit EDM tracks, mashed it together, and made a pretty solid air-horn-blasting, samurai-sword-slicing, click-trapping, Lil-Jon-cursing, party anthem for 2015.  I can see this show being like Major Lazer, Paper Diamond, and Bassnectar were for me in the past years - you hear it from a nearby stage while waiting for someone else to go on and it sounds pretty cool.  Surprised to like it, but what can you do?  It's pretty damn fun.

No comments: