Friday, May 22, 2015

Lion Babe

First things first, the band name is excellent.  Just saying it made me grin.  As for the music, it sounds like Erykah Badu over the top of simple but tight beats.  The most popular track on Spotify is the Childish Gambino-assisted "Jump Hi"
I dig that sound for sure.  Sounds like some Marvin Gaye in the sample.  The band is made up of the singer (apparently the daughter of actress Vanessa Williams) and a beat guy. They have a 2014 EP called LION BABE, and then a few remixes of songs, and then a 2015 single for a track called "Wonder Woman."
Damn, man.  Her hair game is on point.  Loogit that afro, man!  This track is another with her strong vocals (again, Badu dripping all over it) over a super simple beat.  I think I heard Pharrell in there as well?  Not much here to go off of, but what I hear is really enjoyable.

No comments: