Monday, May 18, 2015

Racial Dot Maps (not music)

In the midst of all of this music listening, I found this cool website that shows the racial composition of the country as of the 2010 census, with a colored dot representing every person.  Completely fascinating.

Without the overlay of street names, look at Austin.  Of course, no surprise that east of 35 is heavily yellow (for Hispanic) while the west of 35 is mainly blue (for white).  But the dots that caught my eye are the red ones, for Asian folks.  It took me a bit to figure out the big spot in the center of town, the slice on the north side of the river, and then the big cluster up Mopac before 183, but once you think about where those locations are - it's UT students.  The central cluster is campus itself, the one on the river is the Breckenridge apartment group, and then the cluster up north is the big apartment area in between Far West and Spicewood Springs.

Another spot that caught my eye, why would that zone just to the west of Mopac and south of 35th street be heavily Hispanic?  In Tarrytown?  But then it dawned on me.  My guess is that spot will turn blue in short order, once the State School is closed down and those yellow dots are sent off for some other facility to deal with.

I also note how dense a lot of the yellow dots look on the map.  None of the blue dots have that density except for maybe Rainey Street area or portions of Tarrytown, but some of the sections of east Austin are just solid yellow.  The downtown towers are also almost fully blue.

I wish I could get closer to really see the differences in neighborhood composition.  Fun map.

No comments: