Friday, May 15, 2015

Kehlani

R&B with a parental advisory sticker on it.  She is a 20-year old ex-homeless gal who makes pretty typical sounding R&B music, except for the fact that she's a little more explicit and confessional in her lyrics.  Billboard just did an interview with her that pretty well details who she is, but they really don't get in to the fact that she has a song questioning "how does that sh*t taste" and how she likes the way she gets f**ked.  She has a good collaboration with Chance the Rapper, called "The Way"
Here's the deal - I am no connoisseur of R&B.  This could be the best or worst R&B music to ever come out in the history of man, and I'd have no idea.  I can dig the groove of the sound, but I know well enough that I'd never seek this music out.  But I love that verse on here from Chance - fantastic sexual prowess brags.

She just recently put out her first ever album/mixtape, called You Should Be Here.  Looks to be pretty hot item, since she already has hundreds of thousands of listens for each track (except for the intro). The most popular track currently listed on Spotify is a collaboration with BJ the Chicago Kid called "Down for You"
Over 600k spins after only having been released a few months ago.  Not bad.  Another one I liked is called "Jealous," which is a collaboration with a rapper named Lexii Alijai, that is all about her man taking pictures of their special time together, in order to post the pictures and make his other ladies jealous.  Well done tune.  Maybe I only like the songs where she has a guest rapper and her portion is relegated to the hook.  Otherwise, the music is not inspiring me to do much of anything.  That being said, I get the feeling that she is going to be big.

No comments: