Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Griz (2015)

Electronic groove.  Reminds me of Paper Diamond, which I found at ACL a few years ago, with EDM that is less proper formulaic build/drop and more into a jazzy free groove electro sound.  The most popular track on Spotify, by quite a bit, is the 1.2 million spins for "Smash the Funk"
I dig that song for sure.  Starts and goes back to electro jazz, but then drops some hard distortion sliding in there to keep his EDM cred strong.  Although, that video is a little annoying that is cuts out the music here and there to let him talk about how cool it is to play music to people.  Kind of funny that he actually plays the sax part to his EDM.  Not the norm.  And if you keep listening to his tunes, the sax comes out in just about every song.  Saxman!

He has four albums, all since 2011, with the most recent being 2015's Say It Loud.  His second most listened-to song is "The Anthem" from that album, and it also has jazzy sax, but also throws in some James Brown-esque Good GOD type things in there as well.  With 225k listens, this is "The Anthem"
This, and the majority of this album, are reminding me of being in a hip clothing store or something. Urban Outfitters or a boutique for haberdashery in the downtown business district.  Its very hip, melding jazz and funk with electro.  I spent most of Friday afternoon jamming it and liking it, despite feeling like I'm being seduced by something I should be shunning.  It makes me bob my head, and I listened to it longer than I had to, so it has something going for it.  But I ran back through the top five songs again this morning, and I'm just not that into it.  Gotta watch out for that pre-holiday weekend bias here at dulljack.  Remain vigilant!

I like the fact that this is a different sound than most of the other EDM artists coming to ACL, but I doubt that I'll take the time to go hear this guy jam his sax live.

No comments: