Sunday, May 24, 2015

HOLYCHILD {UPDATE}

No longer showing up on the schedule as playing Weekend One.  Good news for all.

Ugh.  Their website just makes me want to hate them so very much.  Oh, and their label website is similarly vomit inducing: "If music were a cocktail party filled with sweets, thought-provoking conversations and energy, then holychild would be those hosts." Blerg.

They have one EP (2014's MINDSPEAK) and then two 2015 singles.  Their most popular track on Spotify is "Happy With Me," from that 2014 EP, which has a pop reggae synth thing going.
Not all that interested in the music.  Lyrically, its a pretty cool sentiment and all, but the tune isn't doing much for me.  Then the second most popular tune is called "Running Behind"
Makes me think of TuneYards, one of my least favorite things from last year's ACL.  Not on board with this duo.

[Update on 7/24/15]  Their new album is out, and I dislike them even more than I previously did!
Exhibit A: their album is titled "The Shape of Brat Pop to Come," which makes me throw up in my mouth.  And also pisses me off a little because I loved the Refused album The Shape of Punk to Come (which was likely based on something else).  Also, "Brat Pop."  Lord help us all.
Exhibit B: Their music.  Oh man.  The first track is called "Barbie Nation" and it is just as cringe-y as you expect from that title.  It all comes off like a cheerleader vanity project recorded at the studio in the mall.
I will not be seeing them play live.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

WHYDON'TYOULOVETHEMTHEYAREINALLCAPS???!!!!!