Friday, May 2, 2014

Chvrches

The Mother We Share is the jam, yo.  Get your lighters up and do a slow grind.
Such a fantastic little eighties-retro mash with today's electronic sound.  The lead singer, Lauren Mayberry, has such a great voice, and her lyrics stick in my head like very little I have heard in the past while.  This whole album is top notch - one of the few albums I have actually purchased since discovering Spotify.

I came to Chvrches through two sources right around the same time.  First, Rolling Stone loved their excellent cover of Whitney Houston's Its Not Right But Its OK:

Which is awesome.  Perfect cover for them to tackle.  Second, through Keith Law, who my friend Joseph told me about.  Law is a baseball columnist for ESPN who also writes a lot about pop culture and music.  He did a top 100 songs of 2013 list and Spotify playlist that is really well curated (peep this: http://meadowparty.com/blog/2013/12/18/top-100-songs-of-2013/) and he has a handful of Chvrches songs tucked in there.  My second favorite is Gun:

I think these dudes just strike a chord with me - my 80's upbringing and some new adventurous twists on combining rock guitar with electronic beats.  Add a nice voice and I'm on board.  Definitely want to watch them at ACL.

No comments: