Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sam Smith

R&B crooning.  I had no clue who he was until I started listening to his EP (2013's Nirvana), but one of the acoustic songs on there is one that I have heard before, albeit in an electronic version, a good number of times while jamming last year's Disclosure album.


The Nirvana EP switches between piano-ballad soul/R&B and electronic hook singing, but from his Spotify listens and YouTube views, it looks like his electronic-based music has higher popularity than his acoustic action.  Money on My Mind, from that 2013 EP, has 42 million listens while none of his other songs crack 10 million:


His Spotify bio says Money on My Mind hit #1 on the U.K. Singles chart.  In the more chilled numbers, something about his voice reminds me a lot of that Missing You song from the Romeo & Juliet soundtrack.  Stay With Me is also from his EP:

It sounds like he has a full-length album out by now in the U.K., but it has not yet been released here in the U.S.  Really strong voice, but I'm not particularly in love with Money on my Mind or Stay With Me.  Just doesn't click with me yet - I'll give his full album a try sooner or later.

No comments: