Thursday, May 29, 2014

Paolo Nutini

If you listened to KGSR as much as I did before KUTX launched, then you have heard Nutini's New Shoes a large number of times.  They freaking loved (maybe still do) this song.  And its his most popular Spotify track too, with 14 million listens.


The rest of his debut album (These Streets) isn't nearly as snappy and ready for middle-aged people to jam.  His music is mostly soulful songwriter type stuff - which is all very nice but nothing on here was especially memorable for me.  Makes me think of David Gray, where I generally enjoy hearing his songs when they come on the radio, but I am never going to hunt down his albums to intentionally listen to them.  Here is another hit from that first album, Last Request: 


Despite my inability to get into this music, the rest of the world thinks he is the shiz.  Both his first album and second album (Sunny Side Up) were 5 times platinum in the UK.  He has opened for the Rolling Stones and Amy Winehouse.  He's played many festivals (including ACL Fest) and been on Conan, Letterman, and Leno.  So maybe he is the second coming of Lennon, and my taste just sucks.

No comments: