Monday, May 19, 2014

Zedd

EDM.  The usual synthesizers, bass, and drum machines, crescendo-ing into a frenzy and then thumping on.  You've likely heard one of his songs, I know I've heard Clarity repeatedly on the crappy radio station my kids like:

74 million views!  And the dude looks like he's 11.  He's Doogie Techno!  He shows up in the video around 1:25, looking like an angry pre-teen in a hoodie.  To get a feel for the EDM bass drop, go to about 3:08 in this video for the build up and then drop.

German dude, and is apparently actually 24 years old.  Born in 1989.  When I was in junior high.  Dammit.  But at least when I think of his name, I think of Bruce Willis saying Zedd's dead, and it makes me smile.  So, I've got that going for me, which is nice.  Stay the Night is his second most popular:

You know, its fine.  Not bad music, but it doesn't create a visceral response in me like other electronic music.  It feels like sitting through a music appreciation class on violin concertos.  I know it is likely very well-done and wonderful music, but its just not getting to me.  I will be very pleased when this genre runs its course and the top of the ACL bill goes back to being overpaid and tired stars from 15 years ago.

No comments: