Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Jenny Lewis

Conversational country twang indie music.  The most popular song on Spotify is a Jewel-ish revival from back when people knew who Jewel was.  And that is not meant as a slight - I was a huge nerd for Jewel back in the day.  I even bought her poetry book.  Maybe I should not have admitted that.


Wikipedia says that she made her debut in a Jell-O commercial and then has been in quite a few TV shows with small roles ever since.  She looks a lot like Katie Aselton, who plays Jenny in The League.  She covered the excellent Travelling Wilburies Handle With Care, and therefore wins a large pile of my respect and admiration:


I like this music.  She has a really nice voice and her first album (Rabbit Fur Coat) is kind of a fine line between country and indie keyboard soul.  Lots of really nice harmonies with the Watson Twins, although the cover of the album makes me think of those scary twins from The Shining, so I've decided that the Watson Twins are evil.

The newer album (2008's Acid Tongue) is more alt-country and indie rock and her voice really sounds like Jewel on some tracks.  I promise I'm not obsessed with Jewel.  Anymore.  Weird.  But Acid Tongue includes an 8 minute oddity called the Next Messiah that transitions through about 6 different styles, and then she has Elvis Costello on there for one song (Carpetbaggers), which is a fun addition.  The album ping pongs between rockers and slower torch-ish songs.  While I like it, I also know that all of my old Sheryl Crow and Norah Jones CDs now collect dust in a closet in my guest bedroom, so I doubt that this one will stick in my collection.

Before she was out there on her own, she was in a band called Rilo Kiley.  It is still a country-ish sound, but kind of not too.    Their top song on Spotify (Portions for Foxes) is definite indie rock, and is nice.  It feels like music made for soundtracks about people falling in and out of love.  Here is the second most popular Spotify tune:


No comments: