Monday, August 6, 2018

Hailey Knox

One Liner: Strong-voiced lover of Indie Pop Voice
Wikipedia Genre: No wikipedia.  Indie Pop?
Home: NYC

Poster Position: 22

Day: Sunday at 5:00
Weekend One Only

Thoughts: My daughter would likely very much enjoy this young lady.  She is heavy into that odd affectation in her voice where she seems pained all the time, extra nasal, like she's just about to sigh and arch her back.  I was curious about this style - heavily used in the pop females right now - and actually found an entire article about it.  This writer calls it "Indie Pop Voice," which I guess works as well as anything for a name.  This video is even more informative, showing exactly how its done and the tricks that go into "Hip Voice."  "Kind of like a diva cat."  Now I need to go clean my ears out with bleach.

So, needless to say, this one isn't my cup of tea.  Only six songs, most of which appear on the 2016 EP A Little Awkward, followed by one single from 2018.  The new single is her most popular track and has gotten a ton of listens in a short amount of time.  "Don't Got One," with 420k streams.
I wanna go on a desert scavenger hunt!  Its a nice, simple song and her voice is great.  And a good message about how weird it is to have tons of Internet connections but nothing real.  I just wish she'd leave the Indie Pop Voice out of it and use normal tones.  

She's young - still just 19 - but seems to have a pretty legit following from what I am seeing on the Internet.  Her YouTube comments have people rabid for her.  Every article I've read about her mentions that she found fame through an app called YouNow, which is apparently like Facebook Live.  Kind of weird, to watch a live stream of a stranger playing a song in their bedroom or whatever, but I guess that is how the world works now.  She made it out of the bedroom and to ACL, so good on her.

Her most streamed tune is a nod to the nerds of the world and, lyrically, its much better.  Here is "Geeks" with 733k streams.
Again, her voice is fantastic.  The super simple accompaniment lets her voice shine.  Makes me torn - I'd like to just write this off because of the vocal effects annoying me, but I don't know, something about a strong voice and chilled guitar is appealing.  But, some other tunes go for bigger accompanyment - "Awkward" has a whole drum machine beat thing covering up her guitar (and a bad video of her stealing Bob Dylan's sign tossing and modernizing it).

I might be convinced to go watch this in the Fall.  I can't guarantee I don't end up just walking away after two songs, but who knows?

No comments: