Friday, August 24, 2018

The Sisterhood Band

One Liner: Country-ish acoustic ladies that get on my nerves
Wikipedia Genre: Country
Home: Nashville

Poster Position: 29-ish
Day: Sunday at 5:00
Weekend Two Only.

Thoughts: Just their promo photo (which ends up being the cover of one of their albums), makes me very ready to dislike this band.  Sassiness and hipster hats aren't going to start my motor running.  Only one EP on Spotify, confusingly presented with two versions, both from 2018 and both called Summer Setlist.  The one with the obnoxious cover is parenthetically known as The Lost Art of Liner Notes Edition, and comes with some commentary in the form of a podcast by something called Rumbleyard.  Which all sounds very confusing, but instead it is like listening to both the album and a long, intermittent interview with these ladies about how they came up with these songs.  I do not find pleasure in this experience.

The top song is "Half Way," with 147k streams.
I thought of Ivanka Trump when I looked at the blonde one, and now I can't get it out of my mind.  The tune is pretty cool, kinda funky, kinda country, and their voices are very good.  Reminds me of the Sheryl Crow country stuff.  But the opening track of their EP is called "Tenderize My Heart," and oh God, that is something I don't need to hear anymore.  "Ten!  Der!  Ize!  My Heart and just lemme go!  Hey!"  

Ahhhhh!  Just realized what is going on.  Not that ACL doesn't sometimes book Nashville country to the Fest, but its pretty rare to get one like this that doesn't seem to have any hint of outlawness or something a little grimy.  Then I read their Wikipedia, which notes that Ruby Stewart, one half of this duo and the blonde one who really likes to look at the camera during the video up above, is Rod Stewart's daughter and a professional model.  The other one (Alyssa Bonagura) is the daughter of a guy who is in something called Baillie & the Boys.  There we go.  Famous daddy opens some doors with curiosity.

None of their other tracks boast a ton of streams, so I'll make you suffer through the tenderzer song.  Just over nine thousand streams.
I want them to get signed to a commercial for a local meat company and sing "Ten!  Der!  Ize!  My Steeeeaaaaak, yeah babaaaaaay!"  Let's make this happen.  

Their voices are very pretty, and the harmonies are good, but the lyrics are very bad and the whole vibe just bugs me.  The whole sit-in-front-of-fresh-cut-logs and wear-cool-hipster-style-cowboy-hats : I'm uncomfortable just sitting here watching this.  Is there anything more cliche than to laugh when you are done playing your song?  To put your hand over your eyes and giggle, as though you just can't believe we even played that song for you guys!!!

I won't do this show.  I'm a bitter person.

No comments: