Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Sweet Spirit

One Liner: Local pop rock good time
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, going to say rock, pop, funk, outlandishness.
Home: Austin

Poster Position: 23

Day: Saturday at 3:30
Weekend One.

Thoughts: I've heard these guys on the radio a number of times, and they play around town all the time. No Wikipedia article, and the articles I've read on them are pretty sparse with how they came to be.  Sabrina Ellis is the lead singer, and she feels like the majority of the band.  There are a bunch of others contributing, with horns and guitars and synths and drums and backup singing, but the power of the songs comes from her vocals.  Hey!  Look what I just did there!  Their radio hit is called "The Power."
Yeah, bunch of people in that band.  Also, I can't get it out of my head that her mom gave her a Dorothy Hamill haircut, she got called a cute boy, and now SHE'S ALL GROWN UP NOWWWWW!  I need to know what that means, its been sticking in my head for weeks now.  Is that response supposed to mean one of the following:

  1. "I'm obviously a woman because I've grown my hair out and no longer look like an eighties skater lady."
  2. "I'm so old now that no one knows who Dorothy Hamill is anymore."
  3. "Do these boobs look like a cute little boy would have them bolted to his chest?"
  4. "UP YOURS, MRS. JOHNSON, I'M A GROWN ASS WOMAN, ALL THE ABOVE, BITCH!"

Gonna go with #4 here, all the above.  Rad video though, the colors in the middle section are tight.  233k streams, this is from their second album, 2017's St. Mojo.  One other album (2015's Cokomo), although before we get to that one, I have to note that their best song is on St. Mojo - I like "Salvation" a lot.  Gimme that sweet chugging grungy guitar sound.  GIVE IT TO ME.  Literally, I have looked up from my work each time this song has come on.  Not in their top ten, no video available, but it clicks right into my business.  Well, here is a live version.
Oh hell yeah.  Mainline that shit.  Right there in my earball.  Chug it all up in my cortex.  That new album also includes a song tribute to Pamela Anderson, which is kinda funny.

Their top song is still from their first album, here is "Baby When I Close My Eyes," with 349k streams.
I'm fully down with jenky muppet videos.  Holy shit, that video is must watch.  The song is good too (kinda sounds like Spoon), but what in the every loving hell is going on there. (1) what is up with spaghetti monster trash bag cocoon freakout guy?  (2) murder by pregnancy test takes some truly original thought. (3) Still not sure why the engaged couple got arrested violently? (4) that little girl at the end is going to be disturbed for sure.

Of course, this is Weekend One only, because I'd like to go see them.  Dammit.

No comments: